The Hurt turned Healing-The Blog Turned Book! Order at http://amzn.to/RgSTTP

The Hurt turned Healing-The Blog Turned Book! Order at http://amzn.to/RgSTTP
The Healing Season, available on Amazon, Kindle and ShannynCaldwell.com

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day 36

Patience is a virtue. That's what my mom used to say. She knew that I am not very patient person, by nature and wanted to instill virtue in me.
Nobel.
Have you ever head that said? "Patience is a virtue"?
I did a little homework and found out the it's actually half of an Irish proverb which reads “Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, Never found in man”
Now, with all due respect to the wonderful Irish (I'm 1/4 myself) the only Proverbs that I tie my behavior to are the Proverbs which are in my Bible.
I'm in the habit and have been for some years, of scanning the Proverb of the day as part of my prayer time. There are 31 Proverbs, so you can hit your Bible at least a little each day and get some real "Biblical" "Proverbial" wisdom.
I am writing this on the 4th and here's part of the Proverb of the Day- in this instance Proverbs 4.

3 When I was a boy in my father's house,
still tender, and an only child of my mother,

4 he taught me and said,
"Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
keep my commands and you will live.

5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or swerve from them.

6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.

7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, [a] get understanding.

8 Esteem her, and she will exalt you;
embrace her, and she will honor you.

9 She will set a garland of grace on your head
and present you with a crown of splendor."

Another scripture that really is helpful to me with regard to cultivating patience is in one of my favorite books of the Bible, Hebrews.

Romans 8:23-26
but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.

Let's take a risk and trust that the Bible really is true. I have and it's saved my life, my soul, my marriage, my children and now, my broken heart. It can do the same for you in your Healing Season, whatever it may be. If you have expected healing by now and haven't received it yet, remember these 40 days are the culmination of 11 years and prayer and all kinds of diligent work inside the church and outside,as well.
My mom was wise as Proverbs 4 would hope. She was right. Patience is a virtue, so I pray for you and for myself that our patience would increase by His Spirit as we wait in joyful hope.

Let's Pray.

Prayer:
Lord, I thank you for the fact the you place such a high price on wisdom. I confess that often I see comfort and security on peace in my heart, mind, life and family before I come to you for wisdom. Help me to change that pattern, Lord. I think I'm beginning to understand the picture of your grace in my loss. Thank you for the privilege of that revelation. God, the greatest loss in the history of the world was the greatest gain in the history of the world-in your son and our Savior, Jesus. Without Him nothing makes sense and with Him everything fits into place. Thank you. I pray for myself and my brothers and sisters in Christ, that we will seek and find more wisdom from you and your word. I know that you will not leave us or forsake us and I am trusting you completely.
In Jesus name,
Amen.

Scripture:
Romans 12:12 (New International Version)
12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment