The Hurt turned Healing-The Blog Turned Book! Order at http://amzn.to/RgSTTP

The Hurt turned Healing-The Blog Turned Book! Order at http://amzn.to/RgSTTP
The Healing Season, available on Amazon, Kindle and ShannynCaldwell.com

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day 5

Friday, March 12, 2010
Today I went to yoga class. In my early grieving process ,before I got called to follow Jesus, yoga was the best tool I had to move toward healing.
I continue to practice yoga at home, at church (where I sometimes teach Christ centered yoga)and at yoga studios.

One basic principal of yoga is that you have to "root down to rise up". My teacher, Kathrine, was making a metaphor of the flowers going deep into the earth and sending roots down deeply to get their nourishment before the can fully blossom and rise to meet the sun and last through the storms.

A couple of things have changed in my practice. When they chant Om, I chant Amen.
Also, when Kathrine(or any other teach who isn't a follower of Jesus) is talking about being deeply rooted, I root myself into the truth of Jesus and my salvation and root myself deeply into His word.
It DOES make sense that when I'm deeply rooted in Christ that I am more able to rise up. I am more able to weather the storms of life.

Another thing that my yoga teachers will ask us to do is to set an "intention" for our practice. For some, this may be a weak intention like, "I want to look great in yoga pants." For me, my intention today was, "I want to heal from the loss of my parents in this tornado."

Then, when I'm doing things that are scary or difficult, I remember my intention and if give me the will to work. In the working, I may get into a wild and crazy version of a handstand, which is great. But more than that, when I face my fears, and remember WHY I am doing it, and do it. When I'm rooted in the TRUTH that I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me-it's not just a superficial victory of the body or the mind over the body. It's a spiritual win, as well.

At the end of yoga class, you do something called Shivasina. It means "corps pose".
You lay still. You rest in peace after your hard work.
Sometimes the Lord gives me words or pictures during shivasina.
Today, I think, the pictures were my own mind, trying to reconcile my loss.

Today I saw my mom and dad. They were in their caskets and in the ground.
They were very decayed, almost to the bone with just a little flesh and long hair and nails. It was disturbing.
I invited the Lord into my mind then.
He reminded (get that re-mind-ed) my mind that life is but a vapor.
This is just a body.
We are all dust and to dust we shall all return. (Genisis 3:19) Today-right now, I have peace in that, and I am grateful for it.

For the peace.

I know that that peace is held together by my work, His grace and my the diligent prayers of the people in my life.

If today, your mind is filled with strife and fear. Reach out. Be bold. Strike a pose that scares you. One that asks for help, if you need it-first from the Lord, but also from His followers. Root in the word, the Lord and your community.
Today, seek the Lord to connect you to His body and the body of believers that reflect His healing grace.
Right now, the pain in my heart is about the size of a small hazelnut, at the most. I am grateful. Thank you, Jesus.

Prayer:
Father, I thank you for the peace I have today.
I recognize that my peace is a gift from you.
Help me to remember this and keep it with me always.
Keep me rooted in your truth, your love and your mercy.
Help me to reach up and shine out for you and for those who are suffering today.
Help me to breath your peach into my home, my work and my community.
God, seal this into my heart in a lasting way, so that I may bring hope to the lost and the broken in your name.
Amen.

Scripture:
Ephesians 3:16-18 (New International Version)

16I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,
Posted by Shannyn Caldwell at 1:11 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment